Chinese New Year is a great opportunity to connect children with the rich holiday tradition through food and cooking. The combination of favors, cultural beliefs and symbols such as wealth, happiness, luck, and prosperity involved in many dishes making the Chinese New Year celebration a spiritual and pleasing one. In our Winter Camp, your child will learn how to make several authentic Chinese New Year related recipes from scratch such as Spring Roll, Longevity Noodle, Sweet Glutinous Rice Balls, Steamed Rice Cake (Fa Gao) and Dumplings. Most importantly, your child will get to explore and work on S.T.E.A.M. based projects inspired by the daily learning topic from Chinese New Year culture and tradition.
Daily Recipe & S.T.E.A.M. Activity
Day 1 : Monday
Theme: Say Happy Chinese New Year with Food!
Main Dish : Imagine Rat! Pork Belly Gua Bao Bun
Afternoon Snack : Baked Spring Rolls
S.T.E.A.M Activity : Chinese Zodiac Story & Craft Code and race your way into the Chinese zodiac!
Day 2 : Tuesday
Theme: Say Happy Chinese New Year with Food!
Main Dish : Longevity Noodle with Pork Trotters
Afternoon Snack : Red Tortoise Steamed Cake
S.T.E.A.M Activity : Long Noodle, Longevity Path
Day 3 : Wednesday
Theme: Chinese Food Symbol for Wealth
Main Dish : Pork and Cabbage Dumpling
Afternoon Snack : Prosperity Steamed Cake (Fao-Gao)
S.T.E.A.M Activity : Stack up your wealth & the ‘Red Pocket’ contest!
Day 4 : Thursday
Theme: Chinese Food Symbol for Family Harmony, Togetherness and Reunion
Main Dish : Tang Yuan in Shredded Pork Soup
Afternoon Snack : Mouse Bun with Red Bean Filling
S.T.E.A.M Activity : Chinese New Year Lantern Maze
Day 5 : Friday
Theme: Chinese Food Symbol for Luck
Main Dish : Turnip Cake
Afternoon Snack : Pineapple Cake
S.T.E.A.M Activity : ‘Hold on to my Luck’ Challenge
Sample of Daily Program
1st Half Day
9:30 - 9:45am :
Arrive and get ready for the workshop.
9:45 - 10:00am :
Orientation of the daily theme: cooking recipes & enriched learning activity.
10:00 - 11:45am :
Cooking Time: Savory Recipe - make your own lunch.
11:45 - 12:30pm :
Lunch & Quiet Play Time.
2nd Half Day
12:30 - 13:30pm :
S.T.E.A.M acitivity inspired by the daily theme.
13:30 - 15:00pm :
Cooking Time: Dessert / Snack Recipe
15:00 - 15:30pm :
Snack time & game.
Happy end of day camp! Home time.
Our Children Not Just Book Smart, Need to be Life Smart!
Through our culinary-led, multi-disciplinary integrated curriculum, children are served with a 'Recipe for Life' in a learningful play way at Guudnest. To grow up having a happy, healthy and well-balanced life, our children need a recipe to help prepare them to be life smart, not just book smart. Guudnest believes in the power of food as a learning tool. So we use food and cooking as a launching point to introduce multi-disciplinary subjects, math, science, language, culture and essential life skills to children, which allows them to engage in a fun, hands-on and multi-sensory learning experience.
Why Join Guudnest Learningful Play Program ?
- Comprehensive program developed and delievered by the experienced teaching team since 2012.
- Unique bi-lingual S.T.E.A.M. based culinary program for children.
- Hands on! Make your own lunch and snack!
- Daily enrichment activity to extend learning outside school.
- Essential life skills.
- Fun ,attentive and experienced staff.
- Foster creativity and thinking ability.
- Flexible option: half/day, whole day camp
Attending a Camp
- We kindly ask that you arrive no earlier than 10 minutes before your camp as we will be preparing for your class until this time.
- Please leave within 10 mins after the class finishes for kids safety and cleaning of the kitchen facility
- For environment issue, please bring kid’s personal water bottle and hand towel to be used throughout the workshop.
- In case your child doesn't like or chooses not to eat the lunch and/or snack made on the day, you are welcome to bring a packed lunch from home. We can reheat it in our steamer oven.
- Where possible, our instructors will accommodate dietary constraints. As a courtesy we ask that you alert our staff of allergies and dietary restrictions upon booking OR 7 days prior to the booked class. Allergies are the responsibility of the attendee but not of Guudnest. We are unable to take responsibility for allergic reactions to foodstuffs.
During the Camp
- In order to control the workshop quality and enhance children’s concentration, parents are requested to stay in the parents’ rest area after 9:30 when the workshop starts.
- Due to busy schedule in the camp, we do not provide photo taking service. Parents may take photos(no video) of your kids during the camp. However, kindly be discrete as not to interrupt the class.
- If we have any photo taken for our internal needs, we will share all we have got of the week through Google drive and send you the link by email. The link will be valid for one week.
- Kids must follow the rules in the kitchen in order to avoid any accident or injury during the workshop. Failure to follow instructions and kitchen rules, misbehaved child will automatically be pulled out of the workshop and can only return and join the camp after he/she can work in a cooperative manner.
Cancellation & Extension Policy
- The points will be return in full if the cancellation is made more than 7 calendar days prior to the date of workshop.
- 6 to 4 calendar days prior to the camp starting, the option to reschedule once or return 50% of the points (rounded up to the nearest whole digit) will be made available.
- Less than 3 calendar days prior to the date of the camp, there is no option of reschedule or cancelling.
- Members are allowed to find substitute if he/she can’t join the camp. What required only is the name of kid and parent, mobile phone number before the camp starts.
- A minimum of 4 participants is required to run a camp. Guudnest reserves the right to reschedule the class or refund in full if less than 4 participants. If the camp is rescheduled, participants will be notified no matter than 48 hours before the class.